Research and Development
Would you be excited to work with a groundbreaking company that’s focused on decarbonizing the atmosphere? Founded in 2019, CarbonCapture is a California-based climate tech company that makes modular machines that can be connected in large arrays to capture massive amounts of CO2 directly from the atmosphere. CarbonCapture was created at Idealab, a leading technology incubator.
The Research Engineer will perform general research tasks and contribute to the building and optimization of analytical models. This role will utilize creativity and broad engineering knowledge to gather an initial understanding of potential areas of technical development, communicate the key details, and make recommendations for investing further resources. A successful hire will not only reliably deliver on assigned technical exploration tasks, but also show promising instincts and initiative in discovering, validating, and communicating ways to improve the system concept design.
- Technical research: discover, compile, interpret, and communicate technical knowledge for all phases of system development, including initial feasibility studies, cost estimating, value engineering, design, and operation; gather information from a variety of sources including industry partners and academic literature
- Data and analysis: build analytical tools to draw meaningful conclusions from prototype process data; utilize and build upon system models to improve system optimization for cost and energy utilization
- Concept innovation: Create, evaluate, and develop ideas and concepts related to energy system improvements and subsystem integration; contribute to open discussions and regularly communicate results of analyses to illustrate potential impact
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- Experience performing spreadsheet-based and modeling software-based calculations of energy system operation and design scenarios
- Attention to detail and strong understanding of what areas are critically important to driving value
- Strong technical writing, communication, and organizational skills; can perform well in working closely with multidisciplinary teams
- Capability to take initiative, develop own tasks and timelines, and solve broad, ambiguous problems with limited direct technical oversight
- Adaptability to a start-up environment
- M.S. or PhD in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, and/or 1-3 years of industry experience
- Experience with analysis of thermal systems and/or chemical process systems is a major plus
- Experience using planning frameworks to prioritize and quantify the impact of strategic options (e.g., SWOT analysis)
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools and to solve unique engineering challenges