Research and Development
Mechanical Design Engineer
Would you be excited to work with a groundbreaking company that’s focused on decarbonizing the atmosphere? Founded in 2019, CarbonCapture is a California-based climate tech company that makes modular machines that can be connected in large arrays to capture massive amounts of CO2 directly from the atmosphere. CarbonCapture was created at Idealab, a leading technology incubator.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will take the lead on designing, building, and testing the mechanical aspects of the prototypes developed by the Prototype Engineering team.
- 3D modeling: design the mechanical components and systems using Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks or a comparable software; able to create mechanical drawings per ASME Y14.5 and able to use and understand GD&T; familiar with document control procedures
- Design optimization: use various FEA, CFD, thermal modeling techniques to optimize the initial designs to ensure they perform as expected under process conditions. Able to write reports and analysis of based on CFD and FEA analysis of components and systems
- Physical prototyping: rapidly iterate through prototypes by designing, building, and testing proof of concept test articles; work includes procuring off-the-shelf parts, utilizing rapid prototyping techniques, and basic machining with in-house fabricators
- System level analysis: collaborate with the systems engineering team to ensure trade-offs between function, deployment time, operational costs, and capital investment are taken into consideration within the design
- Managing off-site fabrication: after initial designs and proof-of-concept prototypes are finalized, work with external vendors and fabricators to bring these ideas and designs to fully functioning components; supervise the fabrication of components and mange delivery schedules
- Risks, safety, and documentation: conduct risk assessments and develop and maintain strong safety standards, both within prototype operation and for eventual plant operation; manage completion of documentation to show and ensure compliance with internal and external regulations and protocols (important to be familiar with OSHA and NEC requirements)
- B.S or M.S in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum 3 years of experience
- Hands-on experience in building test units and prototypes
- Strong understanding of GD&T and assembly and dimensional engineering principles in design
- Ability to track hardware issues, drive root cause investigations, and take corrective actions
- Understanding of various ASME codes, pressure vessels, etc.
- Experience in chemical processing industry and product design
- Strong understanding of pumps, piping systems, heat exchangers, and other chemical equipment
- Strong organizational and communication abilities
- Note: this position requires physical activities including climbing stairs or ladders, stooping, crouching to work on equipment, and lifting and carrying loads of 40lbs or more
- At least 5 years of thorough hardware design experience, with proven delivery of successful systems into production stage
- Ability to use various fabrication tools (mill, lathe, CNC) for fabrication of prototypes
- Experience in industry relevant to carbon capture technology
- Experience with pressure vessels, hydraulic and pneumatic
- Demonstrated self-starter with the ability to learn and apply new skill sets