Research and Development
Mechanical Engineering Intern
CarbonCapture, Inc. is a start-up climate tech company focused on reversing the effects of climate change by removing CO2 from the earth’s atmosphere. Using a process called Direct Air Capture (DAC), our mission is to economically remove CO2 at a massive, world-changing scale. CarbonCapture was created at Idealab, a leading technology incubator located in Pasadena, CA.
The mechatronics intern will be responsible for a wide range of hands-on tasks and modeling activities. Carbon Capture, Inc. is developing various prototypes to test and optimize carbon capture processes under various conditions. The mechanical engineering intern will collaborate with the engineering team to design, build, modify, and optimize the various prototypes. This will draw from a wide range of engineering disciplines including mechanical, electrical, software, and chemical engineering.
The internship will primarily run through the summer of 2021. Other terms also available.
- M.S. candidate or rising junior/senior pursuing a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or suitable equivalent
- Familiarity with basic mechanical, electrical, and software engineering principles
- Experience with 3D modelling (e.g. Solidworks, Autodesk). Familiarity with electrical design software (Altium, AutoCADE) and software languages (C, Python) is a plus
- Basic fabrication and assembly skills including operation of basic hand tools, drill presses, grinders, band saws, mills, and similar equipment
- Strong organizational and communication abilities, passion for learning, and desire to work in a start-up environment
- Position requires physical activities including climbing ladders and carrying loads of 40 lbs. or more.
- Prototype design: aid prototype engineer with design of the process schemes and mechanical layout using CAD software, creation of electrical layout and schematics, and the implementation of the control software and interface
- Prototype development: construction of the prototype including mechanical assembly, electrical integration, software development, equipment procurement, and any other fabrication needed
- Process optimization and troubleshooting: work with the research scientist to analyze the prototype performance, design and implement improvements, and troubleshoot and fix any operation issues
If interested, please send a cover note and resume to email@example.com