Research and Development
Energy Systems Intern
CarbonCapture, Inc. is a start-up climate tech company focused on reversing the effects of climate change by removing CO2 from the earth’s atmosphere. Using a process called Direct Air Capture (DAC), our mission is to economically remove CO2 at a massive, world-changing scale. CarbonCapture was created at Idealab, a leading technology incubator located in Pasadena, CA.
The energy systems intern will be responsible for tasks related to systems analysis, process design, and cost optimization. The intern will work with the systems engineering team to develop novel processes to maximize energy efficiency and minimize capital costs in the capture process.
The internship will primarily run through the summer of 2021. Other terms are also available.
- M.S. candidate or rising junior/senior pursuing a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or suitable equivalent
- Strong understanding of thermodynamic principles
- Demonstrated proficiency in cost analysis and/or energy systems optimization for energy processes
- Experience with CFD simulation tools (e.g., ANSYS, COMSOL) is desirable
- Strong organizational and communication abilities, passion for learning, and desire to work in a start-up environment
- Experience in chemical plant or HVAC design is a plus
- Literature and patent reviews: initiate development by compiling reports of prior art and state-of-the-art technologies in areas of potential relevance to the DAC process
- Concept design and cost estimation: research, summarize, and present design and cost guidelines for process equipment and individual unit operations
- Modeling and optimization: create CFD, software, and spreadsheet models to optimize process parameters, evaluate design variations, and adapt the process to variations in real-world conditions
- Experiment design and validation: manage the interface between modeling and experimental techniques by proposing appropriate experiments for model validation. Work with the Prototyping and Research teams to integrate data and improve model relevance and quality
If interested, please send a cover note and resume to email@example.com